Giffnock

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Giffnock (1866-)

Station code: GFN National Rail ScotRail
Where: East Renfrewshire, Scotland
Opened on the Busby Railway.
Open on the East Kilbride Line.

Description

This is a two platform station. The main station building, an original, is on the northbound platform.

There is a large car park to the west of the station.

There was a goods yard on the west side, approached from the north, now the car park. The signal box, 1881, was on the southbound platform, half way along its length. It closed in 1968.

There were several stone quarries here, and sidings. Quarries were used as tips after closure.

On the east side was a line to Orchard Quarry and Braidbar Quarry. After the quarry was worked out this became Beardmore's Siding and was used to dump material into the quarries.

Going south was Clarkston East Junction.

To the north west was first Baird's siding, just west of the station, served from west and on south side of line. This was at a stonemasons yard just east of Burnfield drive and had a travelling crane. It was located at the former Giffnock Quarry (on either side of the line). Later marked, in the 1970s, as Briquette Works and Coal Yard, of the Claremont Coal Co Ltd. Earlier there had been opposite a very short siding on the north side.

Washwall's New Siding was to the west of the Burnfield Road overbridge. Closed by the 1890s.

Beyond this was Giffnock Colliery (later Giffnock Brick Works). This was on the north side of the line and approached from the east. Plant and equipment had come from the Jordanhill Brick Works on its closure. The Giffnock works closed in 1942. The sidings were rebuilt in 1946 to become Giffnock Metal Ltd's Burnfield Works, this yard was equipped with a travelling crane.

Beyond this was Washwall's Old Siding, on the south side of the line. This was by Flag Quarry. Later the Washwall's chemical works. Later again the Giffnock Refuse Destructor. The second Thornliebank Signal Box (1942-1964) was located here, on the south side of the line by Robslee Drive.

Going west again was Brassey's Siding, also on the south side of the line, approaching English Quarry.

Just beyond this was the first Thornliebank Signal Box (1881-1942 when Giffnock Brick closed).

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map