This was a short lived junction between 1903 and 1907. The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway reached Cathcart (for passengers) and Clarkston East Junction (for minerals) from Ardrossan in 1903.
As a route for imported iron ore from Ardrossan to the Lanarkshire iron works the route via East Kilbride was tortuous and crossed high ground. With the completion of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway's last portion from Cathcart West Junction to Newton in 1904 the Clarkston West to East curve was no longer needed and closure was inevitable.
Both lines were double track and the signal box at the east junction was on the west side of the line. When taken out of use the L&A line was severed at both ends and the connections taken out. With the closure of the curve the box also closed.
Immediately to the north of the east junction was the south end of a curve which started at Muirend station. Due to a change in heights this curve ran parallel for a considerable difference before turning south to the east junction. The connection was possibly not made and the Muirend end turned into a single lead junction. This long pair of sidings was used as carriage sidings, being converted in 1907.
An expensive bridge over Eastwoodmains Road was used by the west to east alignment. Remarkably this still stands.
| Muirend Carriage Sidings|
Clarkston West Junction
New Braidbar Quarry
Washwall's New Siding
Busby Print Works
Washwall's Old Siding
Giffnock Brick Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/04/1903||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Giffen Junction to Clarkston East Junction opened for goods.
|/ /1907||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Clarkston East Junction to Clarkston West Junction abandoned.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland