This is a double track junction where lines of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway meet between Cathcart and Newton. The junction was formed in 1904.
The signal box was on the south side of the junction at Kings Park station. The junction is also known as Kings Park Junction. This box closed in 1961, taken over by Cathcart Power Box.
Two tracks run separately north west to form a flying junction at Cathcart North Junction. This connection provides a useful diversionary route when the main line through Cambuslang is closed.
A double line runs west to Cathcart, missing the station itself, to meet the Cathcart District Railway at Cathcart West Junction. This allows trains using the west side of the Cathcart Circle to run east to Newton. The junction at Cathcart West Junction was remodelled around 1962 to allow this, before this date the Cathcart West Junction to Cathcart East Junction line was largely used for freight.
Several local roads were realigned to facilitate the construction if the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway notably in the area north of Cathcart station and east of Cathcart East Junction. Cathcart Road was replaced with Carmunnock Road on an alignment further east.
| Aikenhead Colliery Nos 1 and 2|
Cathcart Power Box
White Cart Water Viaduct
Cathcart North Junction
Cathcart West Junction
Govan Colliery Pit No 6
Mallsmire Firebrick Works
Polmadie Mineral Sidings
Govan Coal work
Hampden Park Stadium
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Forgotten Railways: Scotland