Lugton L and A Junction (1903-1964)
Opened on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway.
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
Lugton L&A Junction opened in 1903 between the 1871 Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway, (jointly owned by the Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway), and the extension of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway opened in 1903 between Giffen Junction and Cathcart West Junction. The L&A junction opened as part of a short link joining the new line at Lugton East Junction.
This junction was useful for allowing trains from the Kilmarnock area to take the L&A to Glasgow or on to Newton.
A train from Lugton goods could cross over the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway to join the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
The signal box, opened in 1903 with the junction, was on the north side of the junction. On opening it replaced the original Lugton station signal box.
The box closed in 1929 when it, along with Lugton Junction box, was replaced by a new box at the east end of the station.
The junction remained open until 1964.
Other railway and industry locations
Lugton L and A Junction
Lugton East Sidings
Lugton East Junction
Caldwell Ironstone Mine No 2
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|