This was a two platform station with the main station building on the Glasgow bound platform.
The line ran north east to Glasgow via Barrhead. The station was immediately north east of Lugton Junction, a junction between two double track lines, one for Beith, to the west, and the other for Kilmarnock, to the south.
There was a goods yard on the north side of the line, just north of the station. On the south side were dead end sidings, accessed from the station.
With the opening of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway in 1903 Lugton L and A Junction opened to the north east of the station. The new box at that junction replaced the original Lugton station box of 1876. The original box was at the east end of the Glasgow bound platform.
In later years a railbus operated the service from Lugton to Beith Town. Between duties this could be found in the goods yard.
The lines were singled and the Beith line used for access to Giffen when the bulk of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway closed, a signal box remaining here to control a loop in the former station and the junction. Until the early 1990s there was a siding in use. Lugton is now the north end of an extended loop which runs south to the south end of Dunlop station, singling at Lochridge Junction.
| Lugton Junction|
Lugton L and A Junction
Lugton East Sidings
Lugton East Junction
Caldwell Ironstone Mine No 2
Dockra Ironstone Pit No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|27/03/1871||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Opened from the north to Stewarton. Stations opened at Neilston [2nd], Caldwell, Lugton, Dunlop, Stewarton.
|26/06/1873||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Lugton to Beith [Town] branch opened.
|/ /1883||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Authorisation to widen bridges at Lugton and Stewarton.
|/ /1888||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Authorisation to double the Lugton to Beith [Town] branch. (Lugton Junction to Barrmill Junction required doubling for the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.)
|05/11/1962||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Beith Town to Lugton closed to passengers
|/ /1966||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Stations closed at Neilston Low, Uplawmoor, Lugton, Kilmaurs.
|/12/2008||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Work at a cost of £28.5M by Jarvis Rail to re-double Lugton to Dunlop and Stewarton begins. (A ^dynamic loop^.)