Barrmill Junction

Location type

Junction


Names and dates

Barrmill Junction (1888-1929)
Barrmill Junction (1950-1964)

Opened on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway.

Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.


Description

The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway line, opened 1888, started from here from the Beith Town branch of the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway of 1873 and ran south west to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier. The junction was immediately east of Barrmill station.

The line from Barrmill to Glasgow was jointly owned. (The Caledonian Railway was to, in 1908, open a further Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway line from Giffen Junction to Newton which would be completely under their control.

This was a double track junction with a signal box, also opened 1888, in the 'V' of the junction.

Surprisingly the London, Midland and Scottish Railway chose to keep the Giffen Junction to Lugton East Junction in preference to Giffen Junction to Barrmill Junction which closed in 1929. The signal box closed. The line to Barrmill and Beith Town remained open.

British Railways reversed the decision in 1950. The Giffen Junction to [Lugton East Junction portion closing and Giffen Junction to Barrmill Junction reopening, as a single track line.

The route west to Beith closed in 1964.

The line south of Giffen closed in 1953, this part retained for access to RNAD Giffen.

South to RNAD Giffen and north to Lugton Junction is long out of use, falling out of regular use around 1994/95. It was last used about 2000 for a train evacuation practice.