Lugton East Junction (1903-1950)
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
This was a double track junction north of Lugton High station. It was the junction between the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway and its connection to Lugton on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway.
The connection allowed interchange of traffic and trains from the Caledonian Railway owned Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway to join the jointly owned Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway to Kilmarnock.
In the 'V' of the junction were the Lugton East Sidings.
The signal box, opened in 1903 with the junction, was located on the south/east side of the line.
The line south of Uplawmoor (excluded) to Ardrossan closed to regular passenger traffic in 1932 and the nearby Lugton High station closed. Local trains from Glasgow which terminating at Uplawmoor continued empty to Lugton East Junction to run round.
The line south west to Giffen Junction closed in 1950. The short portion as far as Lugton High's goods yard was retained, the bridge over the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway was removed.
The signal box closed in 1953, taken over by Lugton Junction box.
Uplawmoor closed to passengers in 1962. Lugton to Lugton East Junction to Neilston (excluded) closed in 1964.
The trackbed is disused and overgrown. A portion of a wall of the signal box remains.
Other railway and industry locations
Lugton East Sidings
Lugton L and A Junction
Caldwell Ironstone Mine No 2
Dockra Ironstone Pit No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|20/09/1903||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Lugton East Junction to Lugton Junction opened. This was an interchange spur but also allowed trains to run from Glasgow to Kilmarnock as far as Lugton on an Caledonian Railway only owned route.
|17/10/1949||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Lugton East Junction to Kilwinning East singled, signalling removed.
|17/12/1950||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Lugton East Junction to Giffen Junction closed.
|/07/1952||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Lugton East Junction to Giffen Junction lifted completely.