Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
This was a three platform station with a junction to the south between the lines to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier and Irvine Bank Street.
It was a substantially built station with late Caledonian Railway style buildings. Unlike the down platform, the up platform was an island platform. There was an exceptionally tall signal box on the down platform, just north of the station building. This bridge was so high the signalman could see over the neighbouring road bridge to the junction.
There was a goods yard at the north end and sidings on the west side.
The line rose going north and banking was sometimes required as far as Auchenmade.
Much of the station site has been obliterated due to the early closure to passengers in 1932. The Irvine branch closed to goods in 1939. Closure to Stevenston followed in 1947. The line north to Lugton was singled in 1949/50 and in 1950 the route at Giffen Junction was altered to connect at Barrmill Junction instead of Lugton East Junction.
Complete closure came in 1953. Track lifting and demolition followed in 1955. The formation of Kilwinning East Junction, just to the south, can be discerned.
Bogside Moor Halt
Dalry Junction [Station]
Irvine Bank Street
| Kilwinning East Junction|
Eglinton Bank Signal Box
Eglinton Engine Works
Eglinton Slag Processing
Stobbs Pit (Coal)
Eglinton Iron Works
Eglinton Iron Company Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1924||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Bogside [CR] renamed Bogside Moor Halt. Irvine [CR] renamed Irvine Bank Street. Stevenston [Moorpark] renamed Stevenston Moorpark. Saltcoats [CR] renamed Saltcoats North. Ardrossan Town [CR] renamed Ardrossan North. Ardrossan [Montgomerie] Pier renamed Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier. Kilwinning [CR] renamed Kilwinning East. Kilbirnie [CR] renamed Kilbirnie South. Lugton [CR] renamed Lugton High. Neilston renamed Neilston High.
|28/07/1930||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Irvine Bank Street to Kilwinning East (excluded) closed to passengers. Bogside Moor Halt and Irvine Bank Street closed.
|04/07/1932||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Ardrossan North to Uplawmoor [1st] (excluded) closed to passengers, (except boat train specials). Lugton High, Giffen, Auchenmade, Kilwinning East, Stevenston Moorpark, Saltcoats North, Ardrossan North closed.
|27/01/1947||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Kilwinning East to Stevenston Moorpark closed. Boat trains diverted to the former Glasgow and South Western Railway route from 16 June.
|17/10/1949||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Lugton East Junction to Kilwinning East singled, signalling removed.
|30/03/1953||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Eglinton Slag Processing to Kilwinning East to Giffen (excluded) closed to freight.
|/04/1955||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Eglinton Slag Processing to Kilwinning East to Giffen lifted completely.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland