Location type


Names and dates

Kilbirnie Junction (1888-1889)
Giffen (1889-1932)

Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.


This was a four platform station. There were two main platforms on the Giffen Junction to Kilwinning East main line and also two on the Kilbirnie (South) branch. However, there were two tracks between the main platforms and only one between the branch platforms. The branch down side was the west face of the island platform whose east side served the up main line. The branch up side platform was very short but alongside the main station building served by the access road.

The station was renamed from Kilbirnie Junction to a more geographically correct Giffen. Kilbirnie Junction, the actual junction, was at the south/west end.

The station survived, with only one line between 1953 and recent years to serve the depot. Last use of the line was in the late 1980s. The site is now overgrown.





01/12/1930Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kilbirnie South to Giffen closed to passengers.
01/12/1930Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Glengarnock High to Giffen closed to freight.
30/03/1953Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kilwinning East to Giffen (excluded) closed to freight.
  /04/1955Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Kilwinning East to Giffen lifted completely.