This was a single platform station opened on the jointly owned Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway branch from Lugton Junction to Beith. This was built as a single track branch although many structures were built to accommodate a second track.
Later there were two tracks however, the platform being alongside the southern track which continued west to Beith. The northern track only continued a short distance west and served Dockra Ironstone Pit No 1 by reversal. Just to the east was Barrmill Junction.
The line was doubled from Lugton Junction to Barrmill Junction with the opening of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway, a double track line from Barrmill to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier.
There was a goods yard south of the station, served from the east.
The site has been redeveloped for housing.
| Dockra Ironstone Pit No 1|
Round Hill Limekiln
Barr Colliery Pit No 1
Round Hill Quarry
Barr Colliery Pit No 2
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|20/08/1883||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Act receives Royal assent as the Barrmill and Kilwinning Railway. The original proposal was a local line to link the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway at Barrmill (joint G&SWR and CR) to the Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway at Kilwinning (G&SWR).