This is a two platform station. The line was redoubled in 2009. The northbound platform was reinstated. There is a car park at this station.
The main station building was on the southbound platform.
There was a goods yard at the south end, on the east side of the line accessed from the south. This is now the car park. there were also sidings on the west side, accessed from the north.
A signal box opened with the station. It was replaced in 1891. The box was at the south end of the southbound platform.
In 1973 the line was singled. The southbound line was lifted and relayed in preparation and the the northbound line lifted completely.
The original station buildings were demolished.
The line has been redoubled and northbound platform reinstated. It is one of two station on a long loop from Stewarton (Lochridge Junction) to Lugton.
This is the second station to be called ^Stewarton^, the first was Stewarton [G&SWR], which was renamed Cunninghamhead.
Stewarton Viaduct is to the south.
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
| Stewarton Viaduct|
Busbiehead Colliery Pit No 3
Busbiehead Signal Box
Busbiehead Colliery Pits Nos 2b,3
Woodhill Colliery (No 9 Pit)
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|27/03/1871||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Opened from the north to Stewarton. Stations opened at Neilston [2nd], Caldwell, Lugton, Dunlop, Stewarton.
|26/06/1873||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Opened throughout, by extending from Stewarton to Kilmarnock. Station opened at Kilmaurs. Additionally Kilmarnock Joint Goods and Kilmarnock Joint Shed opened.
|/ /1883||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Authorisation to widen bridges at Lugton and Stewarton.