Stewarton [G&SWR] (1843-1880)
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This station was 4 1/4 miles south west from Stewarton, considerably closer to Cunningham at about 1/2 a mile. It was named for Stewarton, the larger town, until it became inappropriate with the opening of Stewarton station in 1871, after a short delay it was renamed for Cunninghamhead in 1880.
It was a two platform station with the main building on the Kilmarnock bound platform. There was a goods yard on the north side, approached from the east.
The signal box, east of the station on the south side of the line, opening in 1876.
A mineral railway ran south from the east end of the station to Overton Coal Pit No 2, Overton Coal Pit No 3, Warwickhill Colliery No 3 Pit and a connection to the Irvine line.
The station closed to passengers in 1950. The box closed in 1952, replaced with a ground frame. The line closed in 1973.
The buildings are gone but the trackbed and former goods yard are intact, both overgrown.
Irvine Bank Street
Bogside Moor Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Overton Coal Pit (No 3)
Annicklodge Pit (Coal)
Overton Coal Pit (No 2)
Warwickhill Colliery (No 3 Pit)
Warwickhill Colliery (No 4 Pit)
Busbiehead Colliery Pit No 3
Busbiehead Signal Box
Busbiehead Colliery Pits Nos 2b,3
South Hook Signal Box
Busbie Colliery Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|