Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
Opened on the Busbie Branch (Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway).
Open on the Glasgow to Ayr and Stranraer.
This is a two platform station. The station has a mixture of old and new buildings. The line is raised and station entry is one floor below the track level. There is a surviving original station building. The building on the southbound platform bears a strange resemblance to Highland Railway station buildings such as that at Ardgay. The building on the northbound platform is different in style but also two storeys. A number of windows have been shut up and the building is passed by a new road at first floor height, disguising the original two floors from street level.
The station was built at Fullarton, across the River Irvine from Irvine Old Town. There was a branch to Irvine Harbour and Crosshouse, for Kilmarnock, to the south of the station as well as many sidings and a goods yard, on the east side of the line.
Kyle Model Railway Club is based at the station.
Irvine Bank Street
Bogside Moor Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Irvine Permanent Way Depot
Eglinton Chemical Works
Irvine Chemical Works
Warrix 1,2 Colliery
Bogside Coal Pit No 1
Eglinton Colliery No 1 Pit
Bartonholm Sand Pits
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|05/08/1839||Glasgow Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Line opened from Ayr [1st] to Irvine.
|06/04/1964||[Irvine and Kilmarnock Line]|
Irvine to Crosshouse closed to passengers.