This is a two platform station with a passing loop on the Far North Line. The northbound platform retains its two storey station building with a platform awning supported by pillars, now a house, and a goods yard exists to the south, west side of the line, currently in permanent way maintenance use. The station had refreshment rooms to the north of the station building. Platforms are linked by a lattice footbridge.
Both platforms had a water column. The water tank was opposite the goods yard at the south end of the station, on the east side.
The station was known, until 1977, by the name of the nearby bridge (and town) which was on the road north but is now named for the village where the station is located. The reason for the original name was because this was formerly a terminus, named for the route north rather than the town in which it was situated.
The station had north (a small box on the west side at north end) and south (east side at south end) boxes. Both boxes closed in 1985, replaced by RETB based at Dingwall. The south box remained until around 1990.
| Invercarron Bridge|
Lairg Oil Depot
Dornoch Firth Crossing
Dalmore Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|11/05/1863||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Ross-shire Extension Act passed authorising Invergordon to Bonar Bridge.
|01/10/1864||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Line extended as Meikle Ferry to Bonar Bridge opened.
Sutherland Railway receives act to build a line from Bonar Bridge to Brora.
Bonar Bridge (Inverness and Ross-shire Railway) to Golspie opened with stations at: Invershin, Lairg, Rogart, The Mound and Golspie.
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway