This was briefly the end of the line, until it was extended to Bonar Bridge (now Ardgay). It closed not long after the line was extended and the ferry route probably lost much traffic when the Sutherland Railway opened in 1868 extending the line to Golspie, after which the ferry was probably not on the preferred route north. The station building has remained, complete with its name marked on the building, since 1869.
The Dornoch Firth bridge crosses over the firth by the former station. This bridge has been designed so that a railway line could be laid over it in the future, reducing the railway mileage between Inverness and Thurso and Wick by a new short link between Meikle Ferry, Dornoch and The Mound.
It became the Dornoch Bridge Inn.
| Dornoch Firth Crossing|
Inchindown Oil Storage Facility
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1864||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Invergordon to Meikle Ferry opened.
|01/10/1864||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Meikle Ferry to Bonar Bridge opened.
|/ /1869||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Meikle Ferry station closed.
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway