Opened on the Duke of Sutherland^s Railway.
Opened on the Brora Mine Waggonway.
Open on the Far North Line.
This is a two platform station on the Far North Line with a passing loop and a car park.
The original station, on the same site, was much smaller. There was only one platform, on the west (town) side, and a goods shed to the north. The Duke of Sutherland kept his first locomotive named 'Dunrobin' here.
A loop was added and the southbound platform. The station building stands on the northbound platform. The building dates from 1895 and was designed by William Roberts.
A goods shed, in poor condition, remains to the north. There is a goods yard siding, now used for permanent way trains, to the north on the west side of the line. This had the tippler for the short Brora Mine Waggonway west to Brora Mine, a coal mine unusually not located in the Central Belt. The disused goods shed still stands just to the north of the northbound platform.
There were two signal boxes. The north box was on the east side of the line, opposite the goods yard. The south box was on the southbound platform towards its south end. Both boxes were replaced with RETB based at Dingwall in 1985.
The line crosses a viaduct to the immediate south of the station.
It is hoped that the station building will be renovated to become a micro gin distillery, café bar, tourist information point and gift shop.
Other railway and industry locations
Dunrobin Carriage Shed
Dalmore Signal Box
Carn Liath Broch
Dunrobin Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|