This mine was at Faskally in the west of Brora, on the north bank of the River Brora. In addition to the mine there was a brick works and clay pit.
This small coalfield stood separate to most of the coal mines in Scotland, a small isolated area of Jurassic coal. The mine was sunk for the Duke of Sutherland opening around 1814. Coal was shipped at the nearby Brora Harbour, the Brora Mine Waggonway connecting the two.
Coal and bricks were transferred, from 1870, to trains at Brora station as the tramway was altered to run to the loading bank there, at the north end of the station (west side).
The original mine closed in 1969, a drift closing in 1976.
| Brora Viaduct|
Dunrobin Carriage Shed
Golspie Burn Viaduct
Kileanan Railway Cottage
Carn Liath Broch
Dunrobin Castle [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|