This single road locomotive shed was on the east side of Golspie station and its goods yard. It was approached from the south over a small turntable which was fitted with extended rails. This was in addition to the turntable south west of the station.
The shed was built for the Duke of Sutherland's second locomotive named 'Dunrobin'. (The first of this name was shedded at Brora.)
| Golspie Burn Viaduct|
Dunrobin Carriage Shed
Dalmore Signal Box
Duke of Sutherland Monument
Dunrobin Castle [Castle]
Carn Liath Broch
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
The second 'Dunrobin' dated from 1895. The Duke had the right to run his own locomotive and carriages over the Highland Railway to Inverness and often drove the locomotive himself.
Use of this private train continued under the London, Midland and Scottish Railway after its formation in 1923, although much less frequently.
The last use of the locomotive was 1950. With the nationalisation of the railways the Duke's right to run his train was withdrawn.
The locomotive was later bought and travelled under its own steam to New Romney on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Light Railway.
It was later taken to Canada in 1965 before going on to Fort Steele, British Columbia in 1967.
The locomotive left Canada in 2010 and is now at the Beamish Open Air Museum for restoration to steam.