Garve

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Garve (1870-)

Opened on the Dingwall and Skye Railway.

Open on the Kyle Line.


Description

This is a two platform station with an original station building, now in other uses, on the up (eastbound) platform.

Other examples of the type of station building survive at Achnasheen and Strathcarron. The platforms were low and, typically of the line, the gap between large. The platforms were staggered, the westbound one being a little to the south, but have been rebuilt directly opposite each other. A Highland Railway lattice footbridge links the platforms. The original timber waiting room on the westbound platform does not survive.

The goods yard was looped on the west side of the station, the loop now being broken at the north end at the time of the replacement of the road overbridge at the north end with a level crossing. This allowed the westbound platform to be realigned. The sidings are now a permanent way depot.

There were two signal boxes, and although the station is on a north-south alignment these were referred to as west and east respectively as the line generally runs west-east. Neither box is still present. The west box outlived the south.

A water tank for locomotives was at the north end of the station, there being climbs in both directions.

The location of Garve War Memorial, just to the north of the station and level crossing, affords a good view of the station. The station is just to the north of Loch Garve in the small village of Garve, close to Strathgarve Lodge.

02/12/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map