Location type


Name and dates

Achnasheen (1870-)

Opened on the Dingwall and Skye Railway.

Open on the Kyle Line.


This is a two platform station with a loop. The platforms are slightly staggered. The station building on the up (eastbound) platform remains standing. It is of the same style as those at Strathcarron and Garve. The line crosses the River Bran at the west end of the station.

A hotel stood immediately east of this. A hotel here was sensible as Achnasheen was a railhead for Applecross, Aultbea, Gairloch, Kinlochewe, Laide and Poolewe. Connecting post buses used to reverse alongside the east side of the hotel, at a barrow crossing. Extensions to the hotel were designed by William Roberts.

The station's west signal box was just to the east of the up platform and immediately east of that was the goods shed, served by a siding approached from the west and then by reversal. The east box was at the far east end of the loop.

A lattice footbridge connects the platforms. There is a wide space between the loop lines, intended to allow goods trains carrying boats to pass.

The hotel burnt down in 1995 and has been demolished. Now one must resort to the coaching inn which lost much business when the Station Hotel opened. 

The signal boxes were removed in 1984 and the goods shed is also lost.

The station building is well maintained and noted for the well kept toilets. The remaining siding is in permanent way use.


Before the railway opened this was a road junction between roads to Dingwall, Kinlochewe and Lochcarron.

To the south west is Ledgowan Lodge Hotel .




External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


Gaelic name: Achadh na Sìne