Location type


Name and dates

Lairg (1868-)

Opened on the Sutherland Railway.

Open on the Far North Line.


This is a two platform station on the Far North Line. Station buildings remain standing and there is an oil depot siding south of the station (Lairg Oil Depot).

The main station building is similar to that at Invershin (which is now being ruinous).

There was a goods yard on the east side of the station, approached from the south and with a long headshunt.

To the north, beyond the level crossing, was Lairg Quarry, which was rail served.

To the south of the station, on the east side of the line, is an oil siding, accessed from the former goods yard's headshunt. (Not presently in use, 2019.) There were two sidings, one has been lifted. The oil depot is on the site of a turntable, used to turn engines for local trains which terminated here.

A Highland Railway goods shed still stood until the early 2000s.

Signal boxes opened around 1894. The south cabin was on the west side of the line, at the south end of the northbound platform opposite the sidings. The north cabin was at the north end of the southbound platform, not far from the level crossing.

Both boxes closed in 1985, the north box surviving slightly lare in the year as a gate box before automatic barriers were installed. The boxes were replaced by RETB operated from Dingwall.

The station is some way south of Lairg itself, nearly two miles.

Lairg Auction Market was established to the east of the station. There were cattle pens and a loading bank at the station.



Station underused freight facility

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67