Muir of Ord (1862-1960)
Muir of Ord (1976-)
Opened on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway.
Opened on the Fortrose Branch (Highland Railway).
This is a two platform station. The main station building was on the down (northbound) platform.
To the north of the station the Fortrose Branch (1894) came in from the east. This closed in 1960.
The station itself closed to passengers in 1960, but the goods yard, on the west side, remained open in use as a coal depot. It remained in use as a coal depot until the late 1980s, the site being used for the temporary Muir of Ord Shed after the collapse of the Ness Viaduct. The passenger station remained closed for the period while the viaduct was replaced.
On the east side of the station was a grain depot, served from the south. This remained in use until the 1980s, the site being used as carriage sidings while the temporary shed was in operation.
Muir of Ord
Other railway and industry locations
Muir of Ord Shed
Conon Bridge Viaduct
Kiltarlity Power Station
Fodderty Wartime Yard
Sir Hector MacDonald Monument
Highland Hotel Strathpeffer
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|07/02/1989||[Inverness and Ross-shire Railway]|
Ness Viaduct, Inverness, collapses, separating the Thurso, Wick and Kyle of Lochalsh lines from the rest of the network. Dingwall becomes a terminus, Muir of Ord becomes a train maintenance depot and buses operate between Inverness and Dingwall while a new bridge is built.
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway