Lentran

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Lentran (1862-1960)
Lentran (1982-1982)

Opened on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the westbound platform and there was a goods yard at the west end, served from the west.

There was a loop here before the line was doubled and a loop remained here after the line was singled again, but the station closed in 1960 with a brief re-opening in 1982.

The signal box (formerly Lentran North) closed in April 1966, but was brought back into use in May when the line was singled between Clachnaharry (to the east) and Clunes (to the west).

The loop was taken out in 1988 and box closed. The loss of this loop has made it difficult to timetable a commuter service to Inverness, particularly so when services run late. Reinstatement would increase line capacity considerably on what is the busiest section of the Far North Lines.

The station building survived, out of use, for a considerable number of years in increasingly poor condition and was removed around 2012.

The station is at Rhinduie, Lentran House is to the south west.

There was a small asphalt works by the goods siding. In the Great War there was a forestry POW Camp.

01/12/2018

Tags

Station POW

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map