This station was west of Clachnaharry Swing Bridge. It was a single platform with the platform on the south side of the single track line. Clachnaharry was not just the station for the small village and nearby sea lock of the Caledonian Canal but was also the ticket platform for Inverness for trains arriving from the north.
The station closed in 1913.
The line west was originally single track. Doubled to Clunes was completed in 1913-14. The Act for the doubling was passed in 1901 and the line was doubled to the west in stages. Originally this started directly west of the station, and east of the road bridge, running west as gauntleted track until beyond the bridge where it doubled. This was altered in 1924 with the gauntleting removed and the double track started in a conventional manner just west of the road bridge. It was reduced to a single track in 1966.
The platform remained until 1946.
The railway remains open.
Castle Stuart Platform
Muir of Ord
| Clachnaharry Swing Bridge|
Canal Junction [Inverness]
MOW Carse Sidings
US Base 18 Loco Shed
US Base 18 Sidings
Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
US Naval Base 18
South Kessock Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1869||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Clachnaharry station opened.
|/ /1901||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Line between Clachnaharry and Lentran doubled.
|/ /1913||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Clachnaharry station closed.
|/ /1924||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Gauntleted junction at Clachnaharry station replaced by a turnout slightly further north.
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway