This was a two platform station with the main building on the westbound platform. For much of its existence it was a single platform station until the line was doubled to the east.
To the west of the station was a goods siding reached by reversal from the east. The station building was at the end of the long approach road, but has not survived. Portions of platform survive.
The station had two signal boxes. The first opened at the east end (south side of the line) in 1887. It became the south box when a north box opened at the west end (north side of the line opposite the goods yard) in 1904.
In 1914 double track reached Clunes from Lentran, to the east. The south box was closed.
The station closed to passengers in 1960.
The line east was singled in 1966, six years following closure to passengers and the remaining signal box closed. A loop was retained at Lentran to the east.
The station house, just to the south, survives and is still in use as a house.
The village of Kirkhill is about a mile south, and to the west is Clunes House.
Muir of Ord
| Beauly Viaduct|
Muir of Ord Shed
Bunchrew Gravel Pit
Kiltarlity Power Station
Clachnaharry Swing Bridge
Muir of Ord Golf Club
Glen Ord Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1864||Inverness and Ross-shire Railway|
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway