Clachnaharry Swing Bridge

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Clachnaharry Swing Bridge (1862-)

Opened on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway.
Opened on the Caledonian Canal.

Description

This 126 ft girder railway swing bridge crosses the Caledonian Canal near Inverness where the canal passes between Muirtown Basin (to the south) and Clachnaharry Sea Lock. The railway crossing over has the former Clachnaharry station to the west and former Canal Junction [Inverness] to the east.

The bridge is painted white to reduce expansion in sunny weather. It is controlled by the neighbouring signal box ('B' listed). The bridge was replaced in 1909 and the box was replaced around the same time with a larger cabin (perhaps late 1890s). The box remains open but not as a block post since 1988.

The bridge pivots on its east end.

Tags

Bridge swing bridge

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67




Dates

  /  /1909Inverness and Ross-shire Railway
Clachnaharry Swing Bridge installed.

Books


Highland Railway (Railway History)

Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)

Highland Railway Album

Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail

Highland Survivor

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway