Muirtown Basin (1877-1969)
Opened on the Muirtown Basin Branch (Highland Railway).
Opened on the Caledonian Canal.
This was the south end of a short branch from Canal Junction [Inverness]. To the north the single line split into a siding serving the quayside and a line continuing to serve the Glen-Albyn Distillery and southern portion of the quayside. Both quaysides were on the east side of the canal, just north of the Muirtown swing bridge (a road bridge). The distillery was to the east.
The branch was originally planned to carry a passenger service interconnecting with steamers on the Caledonian Canal, but a station was never opened.
The quaysides remain in use today and there are carparks where the sidings were located.
Castle Stuart Platform
Other railway and industry locations
MOW Carse Sidings
US Base 18 Sidings
US Base 18 Loco Shed
Canal Junction [Inverness]
Clachnaharry Swing Bridge
US Naval Base 18
Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
Cromwell^s Fort [Inverness]
South Kessock Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|