This was, latterly, a two platform station. For much of its existence it was a single platform with a siding at the east end.
The main station building, on the eastbound (original) platform, remains intact and is now a house. The westbound platform is intact.
When the line was doubled the westbound platform and line were added. The original signal box was replaced around 1913, the doubling taking place in 1914 between Clunes (to the west) and Clachnaharry (to the east). The new box was at the east end of the westbound platform. A new footbridge was prepared at the Rose Street Foundry.
The platforms were modernised and raised, except by the station building.
The station closed to passengers in 1960.
The line was singled in 1966 with the lifting of the eastbound line, and the signal box closed.
To the immediate north of the former station are some former railway cottages. There was a manure factory to the north of the line, the site is now housing. Further to the north, on the coast, is Bunchrew House, now a hotel.
To the west of the station sidings served Bunchrew Gravel Pit.
Muir of Ord
Castle Stuart Platform
| Bunchrew Gravel Pit|
Clachnaharry Swing Bridge
MOW Carse Sidings
Canal Junction [Inverness]
US Base 18 Loco Shed
US Base 18 Sidings
US Naval Base 18
Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway