Fortrose Branch (Highland Railway)

Introduction

This railway is closed. Passenger services are still provided by ScotRail between Inverness, Thurso and Wick.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This is a two platform station. The main station building was on the down (northbound) platform.
...

More details
Persistent rain continues to batter the platforms at Muir of Ord on a cold and miserable morning in October 2009, as passengers reluctantly leave the ...
John Furnevel 03/10/2009
EE Type 3 37418, stranded by the Ness Viaduct collapse, sits outside the temporary Muir of Ord shed in 1990. After a long mainline career this loco ...
Bill Roberton //1990
Approaching Muir of Ord from the south. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The 0812 service from Wick to Inverness, formed by 158716, stops at Muir of Ord on 19 May, a few minutes ahead of its scheduled 1155 arrival time. ...
Mark Bartlett 19/05/2010

Redcastle station was a one platform station with a large timber station building. There was a goods yard at the east end, approached from the west. The platform is on the north side of the line.
...

More details
The former station building at Redcastle on the Fortrose branch. Photographed in October 1990 prior to commencement of the restoration project [See ...
Colin Miller /10/1990
One of the old waterslide transfers [see image 20678] intended for flat - plate gas lamps attached to a window at the remains of the Highland Railway ...
Colin Miller //1990
The former station at Redcastle on the Fortrose Branch viewed looking south. The station was closed to passengers in October 1951, while the Muir of ...
Peter Todd Collection //
Looking east at Redcastle station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a single platform station. The platform was on the north side of the single track with a goods yard at the west end, approached from the west. The station building was typical of the line.
...

More details
Looking west at Allangrange. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a single platform station. The platform was on the south side of the line.
...

More details
Looking east at the former Munlochy station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Still standing fifty years after the closure of the Fortrose Branch, a farm access bridge crumbling away in the corner of a field west of Munlochy in ...
John Gray 15/09/2010
GNSR 49 at Munlochy with the 1960 RCTS/SLS Joint Scottish Tour. ...
WA Camwell (Copyright Stephenson Locomotive Society) 14/06/1960


This was a single platform station to the west of the town. There was a goods yard to the west of the station, on the south side of the line, approached from the west.
...

More details
Looking north at the former site of Avoch station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Today it is hard to find any indication that Avoch had a railway connection. The station site is now built over but just east of it, hidden in the ...
John Gray 15/09/2010
Just west of Avoch was Rosehaugh Crossing. On the 14th of June 1960 the RCTS/SLS Joint Scottish Tour approaches the crossing ...
WA Camwell (Copyright Stephenson Locomotive Society) 14/06/1960
The 1960 RCTS/SLS Joint Scottish Tour approaching Avoch from Fortrose bound for Muir of Ord. ...
WA Camwell (Copyright Stephenson Locomotive Society) 14/06/1960

This was the terminus of the line from Muir of Ord. There was a single platform to the south of a loop. There was a goods yard to the south of the station, approached from the west and a locomotive shed and turntable to the north of the station. Sitting above the station to the north is the station cottage. The station building was in timber.
...

More details
The former station house at Fortrose, photographed in September 2010. The house now overlooks a car park where the station platform once stood. ...
John Gray /09/2010
Looking east at the former Fortrose terminus. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Ready for departure. C.R. 4.4.0 54470 at Fortrose station. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/07/1950
On arrival. C.R. 4.4.0 54470 at Fortrose station. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/07/1950