|/ /1819||Ardrossan Railway|
Proposed by the 12th Earl of Eglinton.
|/ /1827||Kilwinning Waggonway|
Absorbed by Ardrossan Railway.
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1829||Ardrossan Railway|
Construction begins. 5.5 mile line from Ardrossan to Kilwinning. The line was a horse-drawn waggonway of gauge 4ft 6in.
|/ /1831||Ardrossan Railway|
Opened. Stations opened at: Ardrossan.
|/ /1834||Ardrossan Railway|
Extended to Fergushill and Doura. The system was to expand to 22 miles, it served the Eglinton Iron Works and the Doura branch was to be extended south at a later date.
|/ /1834||Ardrossan Railway|
Passenger trains start running from Dirrans to Ardrossan.
|/ /1840||Ardrossan Railway|
First locomotive used. The line was to grow to own ten locomotives.
Stevenston, Saltcoats [1st], Ardrossan Pier stations opened.
|20/08/1840||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Glasgow to Ardrossan trains start running, with connections to Liverpool steamers. The Ardrossan Railway was re-built to standard gauge for its connection to the main line.
|/ /1845||Eglinton Ironworks|
Opened (re-opened?), this leads to an expansion of the Ardrossan Railway.
|/ /1854||Ardrossan RailwayGlasgow and South Western Railway|
The older Ardrossan Railway was merged with the Glasgow and South Western Railway. The older line was re-gauged earlier to provide a through connection to Ardrossan Harbour.
Saltcoats [1st] station re-sited further west at Saltcoats [2nd].
|/ /1882||Ardrossan Railway|
Saltcoats station re-sited between Saltcoats [1st] and Saltcoats [2nd] stations.
Ardrossan South Beach opened.
Ardrossan Pier re-named Ardrossan Winton Pier.
Saltcoats re-named Saltcoats Central.
Ardrossan re-named Ardrossan Town.
|06/04/1964||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr RailwayArdrossan Railway|
Irvine (Byrehill Junction) to Stevenston (Dubbs Junction) closed to passengers. Ardrossan to Kilmarnock service via Crosshill withdrawn.
Saltcoats Central re-named Saltcoats.
Ardrossan Town closed.
|/ /1987||Ardrossan Railway|
Ardrossan Winton Pier closed when line is cut back to a replacement station; Ardrossan Harbour.
Ardrossan Town re-opened.
These locations are along the line.
This was a terminus on a steamer pier in Ardrossan Harbour. The pier and station were not part of the original Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway but opened with the Ardrossan Railway, replacing Ardrossan Town as the passenger terminus in the town. With the opening of this station further goods lines also opened on the neighbouring piers.
This is the junction between the line to Ardrossan Harbour and the Glasgow to Ayr line which allows a train from the Ayr direction to run to Ardrossan. It is largely used for goods and empty stock movements. The main line is double track and the Ardrossan approach single.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Ardrossan (North) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.01 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Ardrossan (South) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.05 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Ayrshire and Renfrewshire's Lost Railways
Ayrshire's Last Days of Steam
London, Midland and Scottish Railway Engine Sheds: Glasgow and South Western v. 7: Their History and Development
Passenger Steamers of the Glasgow and South Western Railway