Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal

Introduction

This canal was intended to run from Port Eglinton, south side of Glasgow, to Ardrossan via Paisley. It did not reach Ardrossan. It ran between Glasgow and Johnstone, opened throughout in 1811.

The canal was purchased in 1869 by the Glasgow and South Western Railway, which had hoped to develop a new railway along the route with the Caledonian Railway - rejected by the first company^s shareholders.

In 1881, an Act of Parliament was passed to close the canal.

Closure was required as a new railway was to, roughly, follow the canal route. Although for some portions the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow ans South Western Railway) the railway ran along the course of the former canal, for much of the length it crisscrossed over the former route. The new line opened in 1885.



Dates

  /  /1791Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal
Proposed by Earl of Eglinton. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
  /  /1807Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal
Construction begins. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
  /  /1811Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal
Last section built into Port Eglinton Basin, Glasgow. The canal ran from Johnstone to Port Eglinton Basin. An aqueduct across the Clyde to join up with the Forth and Clyde Canal was considered, but not built. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
01/08/1811Govan Waggonway
William Dixon (Junior) buys land from the Corporation of Glasgow for building a waggonway from the Govan Colliery at Govanhill to the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal at Port Eglinton Basin.
  /  /1820Hurlet Colliery Tramway
Hurlet Waggonway opened from Hurlet collieries and chemical works (owned by Charles Mackintosh & Co) to Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal.
  /  /1837Govan Iron Works
William Dixon (Junior) opens the Govan Iron Works ('Dixon's Blazes'), for bar iron. It was built near the Govanhill Colliery on the south bank of the River Clyde near Glasgow and Port Eglinton Basin of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal.
  /  /1842Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Short branch to Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal opened. (Eglinton Street Goods on the north side of the Port Eglinton Basin).
  /  /1869Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal Glasgow and South Western Railway
The Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal is purchased by the Glasgow and South Western Railway. (Later the route of the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).)
09/02/1870Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Glasgow and South Western Railway shareholders refused possibility of joint ownership of proposed line.
01/07/1885Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Opened from Port Eglinton Junction to Elderslie Junction. The line uses much of the former route of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal, the line runs skew across a former aqueduct bridge at Paisley Hawkhead. The canal route under the main line at Elderslie was used for a link to the Bridge of Weir Railway so that Greenock Princes Pier bound trains did not have to cross the track used by Ayr to Glasgow trains. The former Port Eglinton Basin becomes the Salkeld Street Parcels depot.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

The basin was the eastern extreme of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal. It opened in 1811. The Glasgow and South Western Railway owned the canal from 1869.
...

More details

See also
Polloc and Govan Railway


This stone built converted canal aqueduct crosses the White Cart Water between Hawkhead (to the east) and Paisley Canal (west) by means of a single 84 ft arch.
...

More details

See also
Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Original bridge (1810) carrying Paisley Canal over River Cart, near Hawkhead. Class 2 4.4.0 40572 on Kilmarnock via Dalry train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1953
Original bridge (1810) carrying Paisley Canal over River Cart, near Hawkhead. Class 2 2.6.4T 42229 on Greenock train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1953
2 of 2 images.