Greenock Albert Harbour (1869-1875)
Greenock Princes Pier [1st] (1875-1894)
Opened on the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway.
Opened on the Glasgow and South Western Steam Packet Company.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the terminus and pier of the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway in Greenock.
The terminus and pier were built on reclaimed land, formerly Bay of Quick. Albert Harbour was built just to the east, the former Albert Quay.
The opening of this terminus and pier put the Glasgow and South Western Railway in an excellent position as the competing Greenock Bridge Street was not on a pier and required a walk to reach one and Helensburgh, on the north bank, was some distance from Helensburgh Pier also requiring a walk.
The station was located just to the south of the pier and west of Greenock Albert Harbour [Dock] which was also served by the railway. The station had several carriage sidings on the east side.
With the opening of the Caledonian Railway's Gourock extension in 1889 the G&SW were keen to improve their facilities. A covered walkway was added (around 1888) between the terminus and the pierhead. But a far more impressive improvement was planned. The line was extended a little to the north and a very fine new replacement terminus Greenock Princes Pier [2nd] opened.
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Greenock Bridge Street
Other railway and industry locations
Princes Pier Goods
Greenock Container Port
Princes Pier Junction
Greenock Albert Harbour [Dock]
Greenock Containerbase Sidings
Princes Pier Shed
Union Street Tunnel
Anne Street Tunnel
Newton Street Tunnel
East India Harbour
Greenock Works and Shed
Greenock Customs House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Legends of the Glasgow and South Western Railway in the L.M.S.Days
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History