Opened on the Gourock Extension Railway (Caledonian Railway).
Open on the Inverclyde Lines.
This is a three platform terminus on Gourock Pier. It is served by a regular service from Glasgow Central via Paisley Gilmour Street.
The pier and station were built together, a base for the Caledonian Steam Packet Company, which ran the steamers of the Caledonian Railway. This new pier and extension from Greenock Bridge Street (closed replaced by Greenock Central) put the Caledonian back into a competitive position, their previous 1841 Bridge Street terminus having been completely eclipsed by the station and pier opened in 1869 by the Glasgow and South Western Railway at Greenock Princes Pier, and the North British Railway's Craigendoran Pier station of 1882.
The station had extensive glass roofs, covering the circulating area and canopies over the (originally) four platforms. The exterior of the building had Tudor styling. The station's designer was James Miller.
There were carriage sidings on the west side of the station, with a goods yard beyond. Further goods sidings were on the pier on the east side. A turntable was at the south end on the east side of the lines.
There were two signal boxes. No 1 was on the south side of the line as it turned north west to approach the station at the point where goods lines to the pier began. No 2 was on the west side of the station throat where the west side goods yard, carriage sidings and platform lines divided.
In the run up to electrification the layout was reduced and no 1 signal box closed, taken over by no 2 which was renamed simply 'Gourock'.
In 1985 the box closed, taken over by the Paisley Signalling Centre.
The station building was paired back and Caledonian MacBrayne relocated to their own building on the pier, in the area of the former pier sidings.
The station has been further cut back and a new station waiting room and offices added on its west side.
Caledonian MacBrayne no longer operates a roll on - oll off service from the pier. Pedestrian ferries to Dunoon operate.
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Royal Navy Torpedo Factory [Greenock]
Newton Street Tunnel
Union Street Tunnel
Princes Pier Shed
Greenock Containerbase Sidings
Princes Pier Junction
Princes Pier Goods
Greenock Container Port
Wellington Street Catch Points
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1889||Gourock Extension (Caledonian Railway)|
Opened from Greenock Central to Gourock via the Newton Street Tunnel. A new pier was built at Gourock. Stations opened; Gourock, Fort Matilda, Greenock West and Greenock re-built as Greenock Central.
|25/05/1894||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Greenock Princes Pier station re-built by the Glasgow and South Western Railway on a grander scale to compete with the Caledonian Railway's Gourock station.
|05/06/1967||Glasgow South Bank Electrification|
Gourock and Wemyss Bay lines electrified.