This is a two platform station below street level. A booking office stands on Inverkip Street above the station.
The station was built on the Gourock Extension Railway (Caledonian Railway) which took the Caledonian Railway further west than the Glasgow and South Western Railway's competing terminus at Greenock Princes Pier, the extra distance west being important as the railways had competing westbound steamers services from their respective terminii.
Opening of this station served the up and coming west part of Greenock and included a new large goods yard. This was to the north of the line and was on a tight curve turning from a connection east of the station northwards and then to the east to West Shaw Street. A siding continued across that street to a sugar refinery. A signal box was located at the east end of the station opposite the goods yard turn out. It was on the south side of the line and opened with the railway.
The western portion of the platforms were canopied, although these do not survive.
The line was electrified in 1967. The box closed, replaced by a temporary box at Ladyburn Junction.
To the west of the station is Newton Street Tunnel and to the east the Ann Street Tunnel.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
| Orangefield Tunnel|
Wellington Street Catch Points
Anne Street Tunnel
Union Street Tunnel
Trafalgar Street Tunnel
Mearns Street Junction
Clyde Sugar Refinery
Princes Pier Shed
Greenock Containerbase Sidings
Upper Greenock Goods
Princes Pier Junction
Greenock Container Port
Lynedoch Street Tunnel North
McLean Art Gallery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1889||Gourock Extension (Caledonian Railway)|
Opened from Greenock Central to Gourock via the Newton Street Tunnel. A new pier was built at Gourock. Stations opened; Gourock, Fort Matilda, Greenock West and Greenock re-built as Greenock Central.