This is a two platform station, by James Miller, with a large original station building on the up platform. The roof overhangs the platform to form a canopy fitted with screens at either end of the building.
To the east is the Newton Street Tunnel through to Greenock West. To the west the line terminates at Gourock Pier.
The signal box, opened with the station, was to the east of the main station building. The smaller down platform building has been lost.
The box closed in 1966, taken over by the box at Gourock.
The Greenock and District Model Railway Club is based in the station building.
Nothing, other than boundary stones, now remains of the gun battery after which Fort Matilda is named Canmore - Fort Matilda .
There was a second battery at Portkil Battery near Kilcreggan.
These batteries protected the River Clyde and the approach to Glasgow.
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
| Royal Navy Torpedo Factory [Greenock]|
Newton Street Tunnel
Union Street Tunnel
Princes Pier Shed
Greenock Containerbase Sidings
Princes Pier Junction
Princes Pier Goods
Greenock Container Port
Wellington Street Catch Points
Greenock Albert Harbour [Dock]
McLean Art Gallery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1889||Gourock Extension (Caledonian Railway)|
Opened from Greenock Central to Gourock via the Newton Street Tunnel. A new pier was built at Gourock. Stations opened; Gourock, Fort Matilda, Greenock West and Greenock re-built as Greenock Central.