This railway is closed. A short portion remains, out of use, to give access to the Greenock Container Depot (formerly Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]).
|/ /1865||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|01/09/1869||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
Line opened. The [Glasgow and South Western Railway] run services from Glasgow Bridge Street to Greenock Princes Pier (at Greenocks Albert Harbour) via Kilmacolm.
|01/08/1872||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
Greenock and Ayrshire Railway absorbed by Glasgow and South Western Railway.
|01/05/1875||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
Greenock Albert Harbour renamed Greenock Princes Pier.
|25/05/1894||Greenock and Ayrshire Railway|
Greenock Princes Pier station re-built by the Glasgow and South Western Railway on a grander scale to compete with the Caledonian Railway's Gourock station.
|02/02/1959||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
Greenock Princes Pier to Kilmacolm closed to passengers. The line is retained for specials and boat trains but is singled.
|30/11/1965||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
Last boat train travels from Princes Pier.
|14/02/1966||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
Greenock Princes Pier to Kilmacolm closed to Ocean Liner Boat Trains
|26/09/1966||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
Greenock Princes Pier to Kilmacolm closed to freight
|07/06/1971||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
Greenock Clyde Port Authority Terminal (formerly Princes Pier) to Cartsburn Junction re-opened to freight
|08/01/1983||[Greenock and Ayrshire Railway]|
Kilmacolm line closed completely from Kilmacolm to Elderslie.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
Built on the route of the former canal.
This is a two platform station.
This was a two platform station with a goods yard on the north side, served from the east. It was located to the south east of Bridge of Weir.
This is a disused five span double track viaduct over the River Gryfe in Bridge of Weir. The arches are skewed. At the south end is a girder over a Torr Road. This is a single track girder, betraying that the line was reduced to one track (the Paisley bound track) before closure. The viaduct is now a foot and cycle path. ...More details
This was a three platform station on the Elderslie to Greenock Princes Pier line. Two platforms were through lines and a third, a bay on the westbound side, faced Greenock. The platforms were canopied. The goods yard was to the north later becoming the carpark.
This goods yard was not in Port Glasgow itself but located around a mile and a half south east. A station was (probably) not opened (Upper Port Glasgow).
This siding was also known as Lower Port Glasgow Siding. ...More details
This was a two platform station above Greenock, to the north. The station had access from Drumfrochar Road to the east. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
In 1969 the former Greenock Princes Pier [2nd] was redeveloped as a container port. The railway was re-instated in 1971 to a set of siding laid out near the former Princes Pier Shed just to south of the A770. The disused railway bridge over the A770 was retained to allow vehicles to reach the sidings from the base.
Greenock Princes Pier was rebuilt for the Glasgow and South Western Railway in 1894 in a grand Italianate style. This was to counter the Gourock extension of the Caledonian Railway which opened in 1889 (and even the opening of Craigendoran Pier on the north bank in 1882).
The goods yard was on the north side of the Port Glasgow Road. It competed with the Caledonian Railway's Bogston Goods on the south side of the road. The sidings were at the end of a double track branch from Cartsburn Junction. It opened as part of the Glasgow and South Western Railway's railway to the 1886 James Watt Dock.
Legends of the Glasgow and South Western Railway in the L.M.S.Days
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History