This railway is open to passenger traffic. It was originally single track, then largely doubled and is presently single again.
The line is particularly notable for the very fine terminus at Wemyss Bay.
Wemyss Bay station and line are promoted and supported by the Friends of Wemyss Bay .
|/ /1862||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Act receives Royal assent for a line between Greenock and Wemyss Bay and a pier at Wemyss Bay.
|/ /1863||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Line extension and replacement pier authorised.
|01/05/1865||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway
Wemyss Bay Steamboat Company|
Operates vessels between Wemyss Bay, Largs Pier and Millport Pier.
|15/05/1865||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Line opened from Port Glasgow through southern Greenock to Wemyss Bay. Stations at Upper Greenock, Ravenscraig, Inverkip and Wemyss Bay.
|/ /1869||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway
Wemyss Bay Steamboat Company|
The Wemyss Bay Steamboat Company ceases operation.
|01/08/1893||Greenock and Wemyss Bay RailwayCaledonian Railway|
Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
|/ /1899||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Authorisation to double line.
|/ /1903||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Wemyss Bay station and pier re-built in grand style by the Caledonian Railway.
|25/06/1994||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
The driver and a passenger are killed when a train de-rails near what later became Drumfrochar station, after vandals placed concrete blocks on the line, and struck a bridge.
|/05/1998||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Drumfrochar station opened
These locations are along the line.
This junction is west of Port Glasgow station. It is the junction between the Glasgow to Greenock line (the 1841 Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway) and the 1Wemyss Bay line (the 865 Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway).
This is a single bore 930ft tunnel carrying a single line. The line was doubled by opening a second single bore tunnel to the immediate south, Cartsburn Tunnel South. The second tunnel is slightly longer at the east end and is now disused.
This is a single platform station, the platform erected on the south side of the single track line. The station is immediately west of Cartburn Tunnel.
At closure this was an island platform station with a canopied station building. Sidings for the Berryards Sugar Refinery were to the north, with Berryards Junction off to the east. The Upper Greenock Goods was off to the west, also north of the line. Access to the island platform was by subway from Lynedoch Street. There was a signal box at either end of the station.
This was a single platform station on the east side of the line, with a siding opposite approached from the Wemyss Bay direction.
This is a single platform station on the north side of a single line. With considerable expansion of Inverkip to the south with new house building in recent years a footbridge has been added to allow access to the south. At its height this was a superb small station.
The original Wemyss Bay terminus occupied the extreme eastern part of the site of the present station. The frontage was a closer to the road and within today's car park in front of the present station.
This is one of the pre-eminent 'must see' stations in Scotland. In 1905 it replaced an original Wemyss Bay [1st] station of 1865 on a slightly different orientation (see that entry for the 1865-1905 details). It is a terminus and a combined station and pier with a very fine concourse (with semi-circular ticket office supporting the glass roof), canopied platforms, main station building with a ...More details