This is a single platform station on the north side of a single line. With considerable expansion of Inverkip to the south with new house building in recent years a footbridge has been added to allow access to the south. At its height this was a superb small station.
Originally this was a single platform station, on the north side of the line and with a small station building. It had a small goods yard at its west end, also on the north side approached from the west. Inverkip itself is to the north.
The station was rebuilt in grand style in 1903 when the line was doubled with a new westbound line laid to the south of the existing single track. A second platform was laid in to the south and the station buildings replaced. The matching station buildings, with hints of Arts and Crafts, had sizeable glazed canopies. The larger building was on the eastbound platform.
A road bridge crossed the west side of the station crossing over the platform lines and goods approach.
The small goods yard was barely altered but had the addition of a crossover to the southbound line. The signal box was on the north side of the line at the west end of the station, close to the new road bridge. (The original box had been a little further to the west on the west side of the road bridge).
The tracks were widely spaced on the approach to the Inverkip Tunnels, which are to the south west. This is a single bore tunnel which was doubled by adding a second single bore tunnel to the south east of the existing one.
The signal box closed in 1965 and the line singled. The line was electrified. The retained line was the original one, the westbound line being lifted.
For many years the station retained the main building dating from the doubling of the line. Its butchered appearance was due to the canopy being cut back when the line was electrified.
The former goods yard site is now partly car park and new flats. Little remains of the former westbound platform, buildings or bridge.
To the east of the station was a siding near Inverkip House and beyond that is Daff Glen Viaducts, now a single track viaduct which was doubled with the provision of a single track viaduct to its immediate south. During singling the original viaduct was demolished.
Between Inverkip and Dunrod Loop was a temporary signal box at Hill Farm in 1938.
Wemyss Bay [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
| Inverkip Tunnels|
Daff Glen Viaducts
Inverkip Power Station
Wemyss Bay Shed
Wemyss Bay Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|15/05/1865||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Line opened from Port Glasgow through southern Greenock to Wemyss Bay. Stations at Upper Greenock, Ravenscraig, Inverkip and Wemyss Bay.