At closure this was an island platform station with a canopied station building. Sidings for the Berryards Sugar Refinery were to the north, with Berryards Junction off to the east. The Upper Greenock Goods was off to the west, also north of the line. Access to the island platform was by subway from Lynedoch Street. There was a signal box at either end of the station.
The original station was a single platform, before the line was doubled, on the south side of the line opposite the refinery sidings.
Access to the original station was by passing south under the railway at Lynedoch Street. There was a small station building.
The 'Upper Greenock' signal box was on the approach to the station at the west end, south side of the line. Berryards Junction signal box, providing access to the goods yard and Berryards Sugar Refinery, was at the east end and also on the south side.
The line was doubled in 1901, completed in 1902.
To convert this station into an island it was expanded to the south, the bridge over Lynedoch Street expanded and an extra line added to the south.
The Upper Greenock box was replaced with a new building on the south side of the line. (There may have been a temporary box on the north side of the line during works.)
The station closed to passengers in 1967 and the Upper Greenock and Berryards Junction signal boxes were taken over by Paisley Power Box.
The fine castellated subway entrance remains (without the glass canopy it once had). It is now bricked up. Little else remains of the station. The architect for the station was James Miller. The line on the north side of the former platform remains in use.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
| Westburn Sugar Refinery|
Lynedoch Street Tunnel South
Lynedoch Street Tunnel North
Upper Greenock Goods
Mearns Street Junction
Clyde Sugar Refinery
Trafalgar Street Tunnel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|15/05/1865||Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway|
Line opened from Port Glasgow through southern Greenock to Wemyss Bay. Stations at Upper Greenock, Ravenscraig, Inverkip and Wemyss Bay.