Wemyss Bay [1st] (1865-1905)
Opened on the Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
The original Wemyss Bay terminus occupied the extreme eastern part of the site of the present station. The frontage was a closer to the road and within today's car park in front of the present station.
The station had an island platform and a trainshed. The western platform face, on the sear side, was outwith the shed and a little shorter, the western face extended into the train shed and had a rounding loop.
The pier, in a similar position to the later pier, had a baggage line which dropped down from the passenger station line on its west side. From this, by reversal, the goods yard and shed were reached, both remaining in use when the station was rebuilt.
The signal box was on the station approach, on the west side of the running lines with the goods yard line to its west. The box was replaced in 1893.
The station was completely rebuilt in 1905 to create today's Wemyss Bay station, a much larger station placed closer to the sea.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Wemyss Bay Goods
Wemyss Bay Shed
Inverkip Power Station
Daff Glen Viaducts
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|