Bridge of Weir [2nd]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Bridge of Weir [2nd] (1869-1983)

Opened on the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a two platform station with a goods yard on the north side, served from the east. It was located to the south east of Bridge of Weir.

This Greenock and Ayrshire Railway through station replaced the original Bridge of Weir Railway terminus, Bridge of Weir [1st], which was immediately to the north in what later became part of the goods yard. The village expanded to reach the station with villas being built above the station.

The main station building on Paisley bound platform with a shelter on the Greenock platform.

A substantial retaining wall on the south side supported the relocated A761. This wall and a new road bridge replaced an earlier steep embankment. The footbridge was replaced at the same time.

The signal box was replaced in 1947.

After the line was cut back to Kilmacolm in 1966 the line was singled, with the former eastbound line only retained. The signal box closed in 1966.

The station remained a single platform station until closure in 1983.

The station building survived closure for several years. The trackbed was infilled during conversion to a path and cycle way.

To the west the line crossed Gryfe Viaduct and to the east it crossed Locher Viaduct, which was replaced by the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway when the line was doubled and extended.

The timber goods yard survives, a most remarkable survivor. It remains in use within a coal depot, also a remarkable survivor.

Local

Sustrans - Paisley and Clyde Cycle Path


Tags

Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map