This station opened after the Bridge of Weir branch and before the Paisley Canal line, initially with 2 platforms and later expanded to four around the time of the Kilbarchan Loop opening - thus providing a quadruple route from Dalry to St Enoch.
A large collection of sidings to the north of the station, which were originally approached from the east, were looped probably during the Second World War.
A WH Malcolm / DRS depot was established here on the north side of the line in recent years but has fallen out of use.
Paisley St James
Johnstone North [2nd]
Johnstone North [1st]
Paisley Canal [1st]
Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Hamilton Street
| Canal Junction [Elderslie]|
Elderslie No 2 Junction
Linwood Car Plant
Pressed Steel Co Ltd
Blythswood Chemical Works
Chain Road Goods
Ferguslie Signal Box
Abercorn Pit No 3 (Ironstone)
Ferguslie Fire Clay Works
Elderslie Fly Under
Ferguslie Chemical Siding
Abercorn Pit No 2 (Ironstone)
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1791||Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal|
Proposed by Earl of Eglinton. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
|/ /1807||Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal|
Construction begins. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
|/ /1811||Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal|
Last section built into Port Eglinton Basin, Glasgow. The canal ran from Johnstone to Port Eglinton Basin. An aqueduct across the Clyde to join up with the Forth and Clyde Canal was considered, but not built. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
|20/06/1864||Bridge of Weir Railway|
Opened from Cart Junction, Elderslie, to Bridge of Weir [1st].
|01/07/1885||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Opened from Port Eglinton Junction to Elderslie Junction. The line uses much of the former route of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal, the line runs skew across a former aqueduct bridge at Paisley Hawkhead. The canal route under the main line at Elderslie was used for a link to the Bridge of Weir Railway so that Greenock Princes Pier bound trains did not have to cross the track used by Ayr to Glasgow trains. The former Port Eglinton Basin becomes the Salkeld Street Parcels depot.
|27/06/1966||Kilbarchan Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Elderslie (Cart Junction) to Dalry (Brownhill Junction) closed to passengers.