This line is mostly open - the section between Elderslie and Paisley is closed and has become a cycleway.
The line follows the course of the former Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal which only reached as far as Johnstone due to lack of funds. The route was later continued from Johnstone to Ardrossan as a railway - which became part of the Glasgow and South Western Railway. The canal was purchased by the Glasgow and South Western Railway in 1865. The canal was later closed and a railway built along its course, taking a slightly different course as required, which opened in 1885.
The fact the line was once a canal is clear from the many curves this line follows and former aqueduct west of Hawkhead - the Blackhall Viaduct - which the line passes over at a skewed angle. The name Port Eglinton also betrays its past.
|/ /1791||Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal|
Proposed by Earl of Eglinton. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
|/ /1807||Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal|
Construction begins. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
|/ /1811||Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal|
Last section built into Port Eglinton, Glasgow. The canal ran from Johnstone to Port Eglinton. An aqueduct across the Clyde to join up with the Forth and Clyde Canal was considered, but not built. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
|01/07/1885||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Opened from Port Eglinton Junction to Elderslie Junction. The line uses much of the former route of the Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal, the line runs skew across a former aqueduct bridge at Paisley Hawkhead. The canal route under the main line at Elderslie was used for a link to the Bridge of Weir Railway so that Greenock Princes Pier bound trains did not have to cross the track used by Ayr to Glasgow trains. The former Port Eglinton Basin becomes the Salkeld Street Parcels depot.
|01/07/1885||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Shields station opened.
|01/04/1925||Glasgow and Paisley Joint RailwayCity of Glasgow Union Railway|
New Shields Road station opened incorporating the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway Pollockshields station, City of Glasgow Union Railway Shields Road [CGU] station and Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and south Western Railway) Shields stations.
|/ /1938||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Station opened at Mosspark for the Empire Exhibition.
|08/01/1983||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Paisley Canal Line closed to passengers.
|/ /1986||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Track lifted between Elderslie East Junction and just east of Paisley Canal Street. Track singled from Paisley Canal Street to Corkerhill Depot. Line closed to freight from Elderslie East Junction to Hawkhead Oil Depot.
|28/07/1990||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Paisley Canal line re-opened to passengers from Glasgow to a new Paisley Canal Street station.
These locations are along the line.
This was a goods yard served from the west at Port Eglinton built on the site of the former Port Eglinton Basin. The approach to the yard was from West Street Junction [GSWR] where there was a signal box from 1885 to 1903 when control was given to the new Port Eglinton Junction signal box.
This signal box controlled the eastern approach to Shields station. The box was on the east side of the Shields Road bridge over the railway and located on the south side of the Paisley Canal line. It was on the bridge by which the Canal line crossed over the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway. (Shields Road passed over the Canal line at the same location that it passed over the ...More details
This was a two platform station. To the east, beyond the Shields Road overbridge, was Shields Signal Box. The station was on the original Paisley Canal line before its route was altered to approach Glasgow Central rather than Glasgow St Enoch.
This was a complex four way largely goods handling junction around 12 tracks wide including sidings. To the west and east was the Glasgow and South Western Railway's 1885 Paisley Canal line. A 1886 Caledonian Railway connection to the north east connected to the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway at Maxwell Junction. To the north west was a [[Glasgow and Paisley Joint ...More details
This junction was west of Bellahouston No 2 Junction. The junction opened with the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway). It was a four way junction.
This junction was west of Shields Junction No 1. This junction provided a secondary connection between the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway and the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway (chiefly a goods line). It was at the end of the conventional quadruple track from Paisley Gilmour Street and there was a yard on the south side of the goods line, a series of single ended ...More details
This was originally a two platform station. The main building was on the Glasgow bound platform. Bellahouston No 2 Junction to east. The street level ticket office was on a bridge on the west side of Gower Street. The first Bellahouston No 3 signal box (1885) was west of the station, on the north side of the line.
This is a two platform station. It is a relatively new station having opened with the re-opening of the Canal Line in 1990.
This short lived station served the Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park which ran from May to December 1938. ...More details
This is a double ended depot on the south side of the Paisley Canal Line which began as a steam shed. It is just east of Corkerhill station. It is accessed from both east and west (the west end is no longer connected to the line). The line to the shed was electrified in 1986 when the Ayrshire lines were electrified.
This is a two platform station, but only one platform is in use. It was initially a private station opening in 1896 for the nearby Corkerhill Shed, formerly a steam shed, just to the east. It became public in 1926.
This is a single platform station to the east of the Crookston Loop. It was opened for the nearby Empire Exhibition.
This is a minimal single platform station. The platform is the former westbound platform - when the Canal Line re-opened to passengers in 1990 it was a single track and the eastbound line was not relaid.
This is a single platform station. The station dates from 1990, the re-opening of the cut back Paisley Canal Line, and replaced Hawkhead [1st] which closed in 1966. The original station was to the east of Hawkhead Road.
This is a single platform station built to the east of Causeyside Street in 1990 for the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway) re-opening.
This was a fine two platform station. Unfortunately when the Elderslie to Paisley Canal line was lifted and cut back to the new Paisley Canal station this earlier version of the station was not re-opened.
This was a two platform station. It was immediately north of Corsebar Junction, the signal box for which predated the station and was at an elevated position above the station north of the junction (and the original Corsebar Road bridge) on the east side of the line. Station buildings were at the south end, next to the road bridge. The buildings had canopies.
This was a double track junction west of Paisley West station. The signal box was above at the top of the cutting on the south/east side of the line, north of Corsebar Road. The junction was south of the Corsebar Road overbridge.
This was a double track junction on the Paisley Canal line between Elderslie and Paisley West. It was the western apex of a triangular junction. The eastern junction was Corsebar junction and southern Meiklerigg Junction.
This junction was located at the east end of Elderslie station. Here the double track Paisley Canal line of 1885 met the already existing Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway of 1840. Elderslie station had opened in 1876.