Paisley West

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Paisley West (1897-1966)

Opened on the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).


Description

This was a two platform station. It was immediately north of Corsebar Junction, the signal box for which predated the station and was at an elevated position above the station north of the junction (and the original Corsebar Road bridge) on the east side of the line. Station buildings were at the south end, next to the road bridge. The buildings had canopies.

There was no goods yard.

The station was obliterated before closure of the line.

The railway is now a path and cycle route. Portions of the station buildings remain next to the old Corsebar Road bridge.

Local

The original canal here was to the east of the station before swinging out to the west south of the station - this portion of the canal being one of the very few left intact.

Tannahill's Hole, named for the poet Robert Tannahill who drowned and whose's body was found here, is at the east end of this portion of canal, close to the former station. A bridge over the canal remains standing, the hole being to the east of the bridge where there was a culvert. The site is by The Moorings housing estate, formerly the Ferguslie Thread Works. The Robert Tannahill Federation

Sustrans - Paisley and Clyde Cycle Path


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map