Bellahouston No 1 Junction (1885-1966)
Opened on the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.
This was a complex four way largely goods handling junction around 12 tracks wide including sidings. To the west and east was the Glasgow and South Western Railway's 1885 Paisley Canal line. A 1886 Caledonian Railway connection to the north east connected to the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway at Maxwell Junction. To the north west was a Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway owned connection (Shields No 2 Junction to Bellahouston No 1 Junction (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)) to that line at Shields No 2 Junction. In addition there was a considerable number of sidings.
It was possible to run from Maxwell Junction to Shields No 2 Junction without fouling the junction, which was to the south. It was also possible to run from Shields station to Bellahouston No 2 Junction without fouling the junction, which was to the north.
The junction was an X crossover between these two parallel running routes. To both east and west were dead end sidings served from the crossover and sandwiched between the north and south lines.
Just to the north, across a small area of wasteground, was the equally large Shields No 1 Junction on the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway.
The junction in this form has been obliterated. After closure of the line east to Shields with the closure of Glasgow St Enoch station the junction was much remodelled and the Shields Road Depot opened on its site, a large depot to the south of the remaining running lines which is approached from the west. A new connection for the Paisley Canal line was made at Shields No 1 Junction.
Kinning Park [Subway]
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [Subway]
West Street [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
Bellahouston No 1 Junction
Shields No 1 Junction
Shields Road Depot
Kinning Park Goods
Bellahouston No 2 Junction
Shields West Junction
Scotland Street Junction
Shields No 2 Junction
Kinning Park Junction
Bellahouston Mineral Depot
Bellahouston Carriage Sidings
South Dock Foundry
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|