Maxwell Junction to Bellahouston No 1 Junction (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This short goods and minerals carrying link was built by the Caledonian Railway.



It linked the 1849 General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway to the 1884 Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway). The link was opened in 1886.



It closed in 1966 along with the Canal Line's approach to St Enoch, replaced by a British Railways built alignment to the west opened at the same time in 1966.




Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was the junction between the 1849 General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway and the 1886 Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway). It provided a goods line up to Bellahouston No 1 Junction. The spur was built by the Caledonian Railway. The signal box opened with the junction in 1886. The box was on the north side of the junction.
...

More details

See also
General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
Jumbo 0-6-0 57296 westbound passing through Maxwell Junction on 5 May 1956 with a Dalmarnock to Ibrox football special. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956
1 of 1 images.


This was a complex four way largely goods handling junction around 12 tracks wide including sidings. To the west and east was the Glasgow and South Western Railway's 1885 Paisley Canal line. A 1886 Caledonian Railway connection to the north east connected to the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway at Maxwell Junction. To the north west was a [[Glasgow and Paisley Joint ...

More details

See also
Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway
Standard Mogul 77008 on the spur from Maxwell Junction up to Bellahouston No 1 on 5 May 1956. [Ref query 1080] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1956
1 of 1 images.