Maxwell Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Maxwell Junction (1886-1966)

Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.

Opened on the Maxwell Junction to Bellahouston No 1 Junction (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This was the junction between the 1849 General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway and the 1886 Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway). It provided a goods line up to Bellahouston No 1 Junction. The spur was built by the Caledonian Railway. The signal box opened with the junction in 1886. The box was on the north side of the junction.

The signal box here closed in 1924, control passing to Pollok Junction signal box, which was at a higher level and to the north, on the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway. As a result of this it is sometimes referred to as Pollok Junction Low Level. The boxes had been virtually back to back, Pollok Junction being slightly to the west and north.

The junction closed around 1966. Nothing now remains due to the development of Shields Road Depot.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map