This line is open. The line was built as a double track railway shared between the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway (later the Caledonian Railway) and the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway (later the Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Traffic levels increased and the line was quadrupled. When the line was quadrupled the tunnel at Arkleston, to the east of paisley, was opened out into a cutting. The line was converted back to double track when it was electrified. There are now capacity problems on the line and some or all may be tripled.
|/ /||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
Locomotive shed, Govan Shed, opened at Govan.
|/ /1837||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|14/07/1840||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Temporary Bridge Street terminus station, Glasgow, opened.
|12/08/1840||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Alternative date for the opening of the Glasgow terminus at Bridge Street.
|06/04/1841||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Bridge Street station (a terminus with a large glass roof on the south side of the Clyde) opened. It served the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway.
|01/07/1843||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Moss Road station opened. (At Cardonald).
|06/11/1843||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Bellahouston [1st] station opened. (At Ibrox).
|/ /1845||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Moss Road and Bellahouston [1st] stations closed.
|01/05/1868||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
Govan branch opened from triangular junction at Ibrox.
|01/03/1871||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Ibrox station opened on site of former Bellahouston [1st] station.
|/ /1890||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Bridge Street station expanded.
|01/02/1892||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
The Caledonian Railway takes over Bridge Street station completely, paying the Glasgow and South Western Railway £129,251 for its share.
|01/05/1905||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Bridge Street closed.
|09/05/1921||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
Timetabled passenger trains cease.
|01/01/1923||Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Callander and Oban Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Cathcart District Railway
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee
Brechin and Edzell District Railway
Dornoch Light Railway
Wick and Lybster Light Railway|
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
|01/04/1925||Glasgow and Paisley Joint RailwayCity of Glasgow Union Railway|
New Shields Road station opened incorporating the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway Pollokshields station, City of Glasgow Union Railway Shields Road [CGU] station and Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway) Shields stations.
|14/02/1966||Glasgow and Paisley Joint RailwayCity of Glasgow Union Railway|
Shields Road closed.
|14/06/1966||Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)|
|06/02/1967||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
|/ /1975||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Shields Road Depot opened.
|16/04/1979||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Head on crash at Paisley.
These locations are along the line.
This was a large terminus in Glasgow on the South bank of the River Clyde. No part of the original station remains but portions of its later extension remain on Bridge Street. It was replaced by Glasgow Central, just to the north over the River Clyde.
This is a large junction to the south of Glasgow Central station on the south bank of the River Clyde. The junction, and crossovers to the north, allow a train from any platform to take any line.
This was the temporary terminus of the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway in Glasgow, used while the line was in preparation to the permanent terminus at Bridge Street. The extension to that station was elevated on arches. The extension opened to a temporary version of Bridge Street in 1840.
This was originally a two platform station. A further four platforms opened to the south as additional lines opened.
This is the junction between the former Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway and the later City of Glasgow Union Railway (opened 1870). The junction allowed trains from Glasgow St Enoch to join the route west to Paisley Gilmour Street. It was immediately west of the now closed Shields Road station.
Shields No 1 Junction is the junction between the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway of 1840 and the Glasgow Harbour and General Terminus Railway of 1849. The latter now longer accesses General Terminus but continues in its role as a 'bypass' of Glasgow Central for freight from Ayrshire to Lanarkshire and vice versa.
This junction was west of Shields Junction No 1. This junction provided a secondary connection between the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway and the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway (chiefly a goods line). It was at the end of the conventional quadruple track from Paisley Gilmour Street and there was a yard on the south side of the goods line, a series of single ended ...More details
This is a two platform station. There is a considerable gap between the platforms as the line had been quadrupled, due to increasing traffic, when the station re-opened in 1879. The line was reduced to two lines but a third line has been laid to increase capacity between Glasgow and Paisley.
This is a two platform station to the south and east of the Hillington Industrial Estate. There is an old station building on the westbound platform.
This is a two platform station.