Gallowhill Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Gallowhill Junction (1866-1924)

Opened on the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway.
Opened on the Paisley Abercorn Curve and Greenlaw Goods (Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway).

Description


Second Junction


This junction was located between Wallneuk Junction and Arkleston Junction. A footbridge crosses over the line just to the west of its location. The name applied to a series of crossovers on the four track section and on the south side gave access to the Gallowhill Sidings, several sidings on the south side of the line, accessed from the west and with a long headshunt reaching as far west as Wallneuk Junction.

The signal box was in the south side of the line where the sidings came off. It closed in 1924.


Original junction


The junction was originally formed in 1866 when it was the east end of a curve created to connect the former Paisley and Renfrew Railway to the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway. It ceased to be a junction for this route in 1874 when the curve was eased with the construction of a new curve making its connection further east at Arkleston Junction.


Paisley and Barrhead


This was a projected end for the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway of 1906, the eastern junction of a projected triangular junction. The connection was not put in although much of the trackwork was completed.

Tags

Junction



Dates

  /  /1866Paisley and Renfrew Railway
Curve opened from Abercorn Junction (Paisley and Renfrew Railway) to Gallowhill Junction (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway).

Books


An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways