Paisley and Barrhead District Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. The line was equiped with passenger stations which were never opened. The line was only opened for freight. The junctions at Arkleston were prepared but the connections never laid in. Track ran from Paisley East to the southern Arkleston junction and stopped just after the junction.

The system was accessed, latterly, from St James Junction, just west of Paisley St James station, which had a large goods yard. The small shed there may have opened in connection with it.

Why built

This line was built for several purposes. It was to provide a Caledonian Railway owned route to Greenlaw Goods, a wholly Caledonian Railway owned route from Lanarkshire to Greenock and to provide a passenger route between Paisley and Barrhead serving the area between. The Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway was jointly owned with the Glasgow and South Western Railway, used to reach both Greenlaw Goods and Greenock. A goods depot in Paisley was to be established.






Dates

  /  /1897[Paisley and Barrhead District Railway]
Paisley and Barrhead District Railway authorised
  /  /1902[Paisley and Barrhead District Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Paisley and Barrhead District Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway
  /05/1981[Paisley and Barrhead District Railway]
Walkinshaw East Junction to Linwood closed to freight (track remains until 1987).

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Walkinshaw to Lyoncross

This provided a link between the Caledonian Railway's Greenock line and the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway. The line was, after severance at Lyoncross Junction, operated from Paisley St James as this best served the goods depots. Walkinshaw to Barrhead (Blackbyres Junction [CR]) was single track and south to Lyoncross Junction was originally double track.

This was the northern of a triangle of lines at Walkinshaw. The original junction allowed a train from the Barrhead direction to join the Greenock line.
...

More details

There was a triangle of lines at Walkinshaw. At this junction the line from St James Junction met the line from Walkinshaw Branch Junction.
...

More details
Looking to the closed Linwood Car Plant near Walkinshaw South Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988


View south, in 1988, of the junction where the sidings for Pressed Steel left the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway. A loop was retained on the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988


This island platform station was completed but never opened. The line was completed in 1905 and opened to goods only. A station building was built and there was a signal box to the south of it on the platform.
...

More details
Looking South from the location of Ferguslie station where the PBDR ran under the Paisley Canal Line. All traces of the railway here are now gone, now ...
Graham Morgan 12/04/2007
Passing under main line. C.R. 0.6.0 57268 on Paisley-Barrhead-District goods at Ferguslie. [RAILSCOT Note: view looks north]. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //
A Hunterston-Ravenscraig iron ore train heads east to Paisley Gilmour Street. The embankment was once pierced here by the Paisley and Barrhead ...
Ewan Crawford //
View towards Linwood of the P&BDR running under the line from Gilmour Street to Elderslie ...
John Robin 06/08/1963

This island platform station never opened.
...

More details
Former Stanely station by Stanely reservoir. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was an island platform station which never opened. There was a goods yard on the south side of the line approached by reversal from the westbound track. The line was single track on approach to the station from either direction. The west end of the station was crossed by a bridge and access to the platform was by stairs. There was a station building. The goods yard was opposite the GSW ...

More details
The never used Glenfield station looking east to Blackbyres Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
CR Jumbo 0.6.0 57238 calls at Glenfield during the September 1949 trip from St James to Paisley East via Barrhead. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/09/1949

This was a double track junction immediately to the west of Blackbyres Junction [GSW] .
...

More details

This station was never opened.
...

More details
Looking east at the site of Barrhead New station, which never opened. The line was on a high embankment here. At this location, the west end of the ...
Ewan Crawford //1998

This was a 30 arch double track viaduct with a girder bridge crossing roads at either end - Kelburn Street at the west end on the approach to Barrhead South and Arthurlie Street at the east end on the approach to Barrhead New.
...

More details
Just north of the site of Barrhead South viewed from the south. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Part of the surviving section of the viaduct that once carried the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway through Barrhead. View south on 4 April 2012. ...
John Yellowlees 04/04/2012
Looking south along the A736 at Barrhead in the summer of 2006. In the background is the remaining section of the viaduct that once carried the ...
John Furnevel 17/08/2006

This two platform station was completed but never opened. The double track line was completed in 1905 and opened to goods only. Station buildings were never provided.
...

More details
View from Barrhead South in August 1963 along the P&BDR viaduct running through Barrhead [see image 10663]. ...
John Robin 06/08/1963
Trip from St James to Paisley East via Barrhead. Barrhead South. CR Jumbo 0.6.0 57238 driver D. Fay. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 24/09/1949
SLS tour at Barrhead South. CR 0.6.0 57266. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/09/1951

This is a disused six arch double track viaduct. ...

More details
Not easy to photograph in the summer! Other than the short length of viaduct in Barrhead itself, the Aurs Burn Viaduct is probably the most ...
Ewan Crawford 28/09/2017

This junction was immediately west of the never built Lyoncross station.
...

More details
A 314 passes the site of Lyoncross Junction. The Barrhead and Paisley route was in the trees behind the train. ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
A 318 passes the site of Lyoncross Junction. The lines still pass round the never built island platform. Unfortunately tree growth makes the formation ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
Fairburn 2-6-4T 42244 passing the site of Lyoncross Junction on 29 September 1960 with the 12.11pm Glasgow Central - Neilston High. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/09/1960
Standard tank 80023 passing the site of Lyoncross Junction on 20 September 1960 with the 6.18pm Glasgow Central - Neilston High train. [Ref query ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/09/1960




Barrhead to Paisley

This was intended to provide a link to Greenlaw Goods in the east of Paisley and the shortest connection for passengers between Paisley and Barrhead. The line was double track.

This was a double track junction immediately to the west of Blackbyres Junction [GSW] .
...

More details

The Laundry in the north part of Dykebar Hospital was rail served by a short branch. This connected to the Paisley East to Blackbyres Junction [CR] at a south facing junction. ...

More details

This island platform station never opened. There was a station building and a signal box immediately to the south of the building on the island platform. There were no goods facilities. To the north and south the line was double track. The southbound line was lifted first.
...

More details
Looking east, the path runs along the approximate line of the trackbed of the Pasiely & Barrhead district railway at the location of Dykebar station. ...
Graham Morgan 05/04/2008
Remains of the Hawkhead Road railway bridge just to the west of Dykebar station in Paisley ...
Graham Morgan 05/04/2008
The derelict Dykebar station on the line from Paisley East to Barrhead, photographed in 1964 from the west in Hawkhead Road. The stations on the ...
Colin Miller //1964


Also known as Paisley East Goods.
...

More details

This two platform station was built but never opened. The railway opened to goods in 1906. Nearby was the Lacy Street Depot, the goods yard for the station.
...

More details
Remnants of the Paisley & Barrhead District Railway photographed in the Summer of 2004. The northern abutment of the bridge that carried the line over ...
Colin Miller //2004
Excuse me, does my abutment look big in this? The remains of the former P&BDR bridge on the south side of Barshaw Drive, Paisley, now forming ...
Colin Miller //2004
The 'squinty house' in Seedhill Road, to the west of Hawkhead station. The view shows its peculiarly-angled gable, which came about as a result of the ...
Colin Miller 02/08/2010
The office/shop once used by coal merchant John Lyon in Glasgow Road, Paisley, (just round the corner from the former Paisley East ...
Colin Miller 25/12/2008

The name of this junction is assumed - it was never laid in.
...

More details




Walkinshaw to Paisley St James

This curve was intended to allow a passenger service from Paisley to Barrhead via Glenfield

There was a triangle of lines at Walkinshaw. At this junction the line from St James Junction met the line from Walkinshaw Branch Junction.
...

More details
Looking to the closed Linwood Car Plant near Walkinshaw South Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This junction was just west of Paisley St James station. In its final days the branch was a single track serving the former Pressed Steel Co Ltd works.
...

More details
Looking west at the former junction to the west of Paisley St James station. The branch still existed to Linwood but the junction itself had been ...
Ewan Crawford //
CR 0.6.0 57360 on branch at Paisley St James. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 10/04/1953




Meikleriggs Goods Branch

This branch left the line at Ferguslie.

This island platform station was completed but never opened. The line was completed in 1905 and opened to goods only. A station building was built and there was a signal box to the south of it on the platform.
...

More details
Looking South from the location of Ferguslie station where the PBDR ran under the Paisley Canal Line. All traces of the railway here are now gone, now ...
Graham Morgan 12/04/2007
Passing under main line. C.R. 0.6.0 57268 on Paisley-Barrhead-District goods at Ferguslie. [RAILSCOT Note: view looks north]. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //
A Hunterston-Ravenscraig iron ore train heads east to Paisley Gilmour Street. The embankment was once pierced here by the Paisley and Barrhead ...
Ewan Crawford //
View towards Linwood of the P&BDR running under the line from Gilmour Street to Elderslie ...
John Robin 06/08/1963


This was the goods yard for the never opened Ferguslie station. The goods yard was south of the station and reached by reversal from the Meikleriggs Goods branch. To the north was the branch to Ferguslie Clay Works, also served by reversal from the goods branch.
...

More details


This goods and mineral yard was at the east end of the short Meikleriggs branch from the south end of the never opened Ferguslie station. The branch also served the Burnbank Chemical Works. The goods yard competed with the Glasgow and South Western Railway owned Ferguslie Goods to the north. Both served the area and the Ferguslie Thread Works, Ferguslie Dye Works and other ...

More details